Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Images 101 - Mastering the Basics: Uploading
12-13-2013, 12:57 PM, (This post was last modified: 12-13-2013, 01:23 PM by Skook.)
Tongue  Images 101 - Mastering the Basics: Uploading
I have created three large images with numbered steps that explain the process I follow when uploading images into my VanPeak posts. I am using the three floral images found in the Windows ‘Sample Pictures’ folder found in the ‘My Pictures’ library. They have been resized in Paint Shop Pro to 300px X 225px at a resolution of 72px/inch (original res - 96px/inch which is good but I’m making them smaller still) - this has reduced their file size to 21.2KB from their original 581 to 858KB.

#1:
I mentioned in a previous tutorial that I compose my posts in either Windows Notepad or Word and then copy and paste into the VP Text Editor. In this example, I have used Word for my nonsense post and notice I have indicated where I want to place my images within the text using a “holding word” and this will be carried over to the Text Editor when I paste in the document.

[Image: attachment.php?aid=629]

#2:
I used the ‘Test/Sandbox’ area of the forum to prepare the images for this tutorial as you can see in the ‘crumb line’ at the top of the screenshot. This testing area is open to all members to explore the different features of the Text Editor and to practise uploading posts and images. You can delete your posts after finishing (Red ‘X’ at bottom of post). I was starting a ‘New Thread’ and this is indicated in the crumb line, too, and at the top of the Text Editor (‘Post a new Thread’).

In the ‘Thread Subject’ box, I have pasted in the title of my post. This ‘Subject’ will appear in all subsequent posts (Replies and New Replies) proceeded by “RE:” (e.g. “RE: Tips for Selling Your Home”). The Subject also appears at the top of the body of the post. In this example, after I pasted all my post text into the editor, I applied text formatting (Bold and Italic) to the plant names to emphasize them and you can see the code tags before and after the words in the text editor.

Adding my images is the last step I take before finally hitting the 'Post Thread' button. Before then, I complete all my text prep (formatting, adding links, etc.) and, if working on long posts will ‘Save As Draft’ a few times during the process - better safe than sorry.

#3:
With my text formatting complete, I click the ‘Preview Post’ button and my post will appear in a ‘Preview’ box above the Text Editor. This is exactly how my post will appear in the forum (minus the actual images) and if everything is to my liking I scroll back down to the editor and begin uploading my images.

Moving onto to the next tutorial pic…

#1:
Below the text editor, you will see the ‘Attachments’ box. To upload your first image, click the ‘Browse’ button.

#2:
If using a Windows operating system, Windows Explorer will open its dialog box. Use the method you prefer to get to your images (clicking on folders to burrow down or using the tree in the left column). Click your image and then click “Open”.

#3:
The name of your picture file will appear in the Attachments box beside the Browse button verifying this is the image you want. If correct, then click the ‘Add Attachment’ button on the far right.

#4:
The image is now being uploaded to your ‘Attachments Manager’ (you can access your Attachments Manager at any time by logging in and clicking ‘User CP’ at the top of the VanPeak Home page). When the image is in your AM, its name and file size will appear beneath the ‘Browse’ button and two new buttons will appear below the ‘Add Attachment’. If you’ve uploaded the wrong image, click ‘Remove’ and repeat the process.

Now, go back into the text editor to the point where you want to insert the image. If this were my post, I would double click on the holding text ‘image’ to highlight it and then go back to the ‘Attachments’ box and click the ‘Insert Into Post’ button.

[Image: attachment.php?aid=630]

#5:
Returning to the text editor, I see that the word ‘image’ had been replaced by code: [attachment = 620]. Over the course of my posting at VanPeak, I have uploaded a total of 620 images. I did a big clean-up about a month ago and deleted older posts and that removed their images from my ‘Attachments Manager’. Perhaps if I had gone into the Manager and deleted the images first, it would have reset the numbering, but I honestly don’t know. That method seems rather tedious, too. I prefer just to log-in, go to the post I want to remove and click the ‘Delete’ button (Red “X”). I have a feeling the numbering applied to Attachments is a feature set up in the Administration Board which is beyond my reach…LOL. (Hey, admin!).

#6:
You will repeat the process described above if you are uploading multiple images. As you can see in this step, all three of my images have now been uploaded.

Moving on to the next tutorial pic…

#1:
After uploading all my images and inserting them into their post positions, I do one final ‘Preview’. The holding text has been removed and the area where the image will be inserted is now blank. Yep, the universe is unfolding as it should and now I am ready to dazzle by hitting the ‘Post’ button.

#2:
I have zoomed out in my browser to show how my post looks over all.

[Image: attachment.php?aid=631]

#3:
In this close-up view of my post, you can see that the ‘Thread Subject’ now appears at the top of the post and above the contents of my post. Because this post was the start of a new ‘Thread’ it carries the “#1” in the upper right hand corner. If you move your cursor up to that number, you will notice it is a link. If there were multiple posts in a thread, you could click on those numbers to get the url address for each post which then appears in your browser address bar. It is this address that you would copy and post as a ‘hyperlink’ into post if you wanted to link back to another post.

The pics I used in my example post are relatively small and because of that I could actually place them side by side in my post as you can see in the image below. However, at a certain point depending on your pic’s dimensions and file size, your pic will appear as a much smaller ‘Thumbnail’ image within your post. The purpose for this is to make the page download faster. Those viewing your post will then have to click on the thumbnail to view your image at its proper dimensions via the forum’s ‘Lightbox’ feature.

[Image: attachment.php?aid=632]

In Part 2 to this tutorial, I will show you the steps to take to embed your photos at their actual dimensions within your post. In the meantime, it's a perfect opportunity to head to the 'Sandbox' to practise uploading your resized pics into a 'mock' post.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

12-19-2013, 07:26 PM, (This post was last modified: 12-19-2013, 07:35 PM by Skook.)
RE: Images 101 - Mastering the Basics: Uploading
Part 2 - Displaying larger resized images in your post

I mentioned in the post above that if your image dimension and file size are small enough it will appear at its new edited size within your post. However, it still behaves as a ‘thumbnail’ image in that when clicked it will open in a separate tab or window in the lightbox feature with its solid black background. To return to the post will require action on the viewer’s part such as clicking on the original browser tab or closing the new lightbox tab or window.

This lightbox feature works well for posts containing a stand-alone graph with little or no text in the post. However, for most of my posts, I don’t want to take the viewer away from the text. As well, I want to ensure my larger images are seen in their actual size and not as reduced thumbnails. So, here are the steps needed to get those results.

In this tutorial example, I have created a New Thread in the Forum’s Sandbox (post testing area) titled ‘Images - Test Post’. I have followed all the steps outline in the Part 1 and you can see that I uploaded three images and they are now in my ‘Attachments Manager’. The ‘Text Editor’ shows I have inserted the images into the post between my lines of text. I was satisfied with the ‘Preview’ and clicked ‘Post’. The severely cropped screenshot on the right shows how my new post displays and all those images are thumbnails - you can see their actual resized dimension in the text displayed in the ‘Text Editor.’

[Image: attachment.php?aid=665]

Now, I am going to click on the first image in that forum post to open it in the lightbox and that lightbox page actually has its own web address and I will need that url for each and every pic/image in my post. The image below shows my steps:

Highlight the url (#1), right click (#2) and click ‘Copy’. Now, I paste the url into ‘Notepad’. I do this for each post image. If I had composed my post in a Word doc, I would have pasted the urls there.

[Image: attachment.php?aid=666]

With all my image urls in Notepad, I scroll down to the bottom of my post and click on ‘Edit’ and choose ‘Full Edit’ (#1). I go to the text editor and remove the first image placement code (you can also highlight that code) leaving my cursor at the insertion point, copy my first image address in Notepad and then click on the ‘Insert image’ button (#2). This opens a pop-up and I paste the image address into the box (#3) and click ‘OK.’ New image code that contains the image url now displays in my ‘Text Editor’. In this example, I then clicked ‘Preview’ (#5) and you can see the first image is now substantially larger - in fact, it is now displaying at 500 pixels wide X 373 pixels high. Returning to the ‘Text Editor’, I repeat the steps for the remaining images.

[Image: attachment.php?aid=667]

After taking these steps, all my images will be displayed at their proper dimensions when I ‘Preview’ my post; however, they will also be aligned to the left side of the post. Centering the images is easy:

Highlight the image code and click the ‘Align text to the center’ tool (#1). The alignment code tags have now been inserted on either side of the image coding (#2). You can see the effect in my cropped ‘Preview’ image (#3). (Note: To take these screenshots, I have had to ‘zoom out’ in my browser and this affects the behaviour and thus the appearance of the forum). I have opened up my pixel ruler (#4) and you can see that the image is exactly at 500 pixels wide and is centred in my post.

[Image: attachment.php?aid=668]

After aligning all my images and preforming a final ‘Preview’, I click the ‘Post’ button to upload my post, again, with its new image formatting. Those ‘thumbnails’ that initially appeared in my uploaded post now appear in an ‘Attached Files’ box at the bottom of my post (#5) and should anyone want to view the images using the lightbox feature they can click on the thumbnail.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Tongue Images 101 - Mastering the Basics: Editing/Resizing with Windows ‘Paint’ Skook 1 5,135 12-30-2013, 01:02 PM
Last Post: Skook
Tongue Images 101 - Mastering the Basics: File Size Skook 1 3,463 12-12-2013, 02:49 PM
Tongue Posting 101 - Mastering the Basics: Text/Post Formatting Tools Skook 0 3,880 12-09-2013, 02:33 PM
Tongue Posting 101 - Mastering the Basics: The VP Text Editor Skook 0 3,875 12-08-2013, 03:34 PM