Vancouver Peak

Full Version: The Front to Back Challenge
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
It’s a rare Realtor who will take a picture of the front of a property and then run around and do the same from the back. So, when it does happen, I take notice; and, with that noticing something else got my attention. Maybe some of you have picked up on what I’ve been seeing yourselves; if not, then this challenge might help.

So, the challenge is to match the house front view in the first column (labelled A - N) with the correct house back view in the second column (labelled a - n). I have had to split the 14 homes over two large image files so you will have that added challenge of having to scroll between the two to find that matching rear view. Hey, I said this was a challenge.

So, you have a week to post your answers and the winner will get bragging rights and maybe something else. I will post the correct match-up info sometime next Thursday. Good luck.

[Image: attachment.php?aid=431]
[Image: attachment.php?aid=432]

Sept 26, 2013 Update:

Here are the answers to the first VancouverPeak.com RE “Front to Back Challenge”:

[Image: attachment.php?aid=439]
Gotta try my hand at this..

AK
BH
CG
DA
EN
FE
GI
HL
ID
JF
KJ
LC
MB
NM

And for extra bonus points I notice that the more expensive properties tend to be shot at dusk with all the lights on. Do I win?

At the very least I should get points for being first and giving everyone else something to start from Big Grin
Extra points? Careful, Wreckonomics, or you will be winning the duotang/photocopy version of the “coffee-table-style glossy-covered book containing a folio of all threads authored by” moi…Cool...LOL.

But, not with those answers! Your glass is half full - yep, half right and half wrong. Keep trying...LOL.
Kudos to wreckonomics for giving this a go which was a challenge given the format. I have uploaded the answers and added them to the bottom of the first post.

So, what was it about the front to back images that grabbed my attention? Well, try to image this…

I am going take these fourteen homes and transport and line them up along both sides of a single street. You see they are going to be the stars in my still to be written and filmed documentary titled:

‘Credit and Debt in the Early 21st Century and the Illusion of Wealth.’

I liken my imaginary street to one of those Hollywood towns build in the studio back lot. You know what I mean where it all looks so believable from the front but when you walk around back there is nothing there. So, that is what jumped out at me as I looked at those 14 listings pics; that their facades create this illusion of wealth but walk around the back and poof it disappears.

The three priciest homes in the Challenge are a perfect example with their beautiful wood trim and/or brick on the façade but around back and it’s just stucco or painted cement. Heck, the façade brick is likely just cladding and thus an illusion.

[Image: attachment.php?aid=437]

Just the other day I found this fine half a million dollar example from the Sunshine Coast. Do you think you would be able to pick out the front if you were shown the back first, blindfolded, dropped off in the street and told then to point it out? Probably not.

[Image: attachment.php?aid=438]

I can’t help but think this "challenge" could be a metaphor for the state of real estate in Canada.

So, when did we start buying into this and why? Has this been foisted on us by developers and builders as they save on building costs? Or, are we getting exactly what we’ve asked for? Has easy credit resulted in a drop in our standards? In other words, would we be more demanding or discriminating if we had to save longer and harder before buying.

Any thoughts?
Ah, I see I missed the cutoff for guessing! Is that second shot a different view of the back 'm' from the list? I can't find it in the original list of images.
(09-27-2013, 09:21 PM)ant Wrote: [ -> ]Ah, I see I missed the cutoff for guessing! Is that second shot a different view of the back 'm' from the list? I can't find it in the original list of images.

Hey ant, good to hear from you. Yes, I had two back view shots for that Bramwell property. I admit I used the view that was a bit more 'challenging' to match; however, that view also gave a better idea of how big the backyard is. Yep, all the "wealth" is at the front (along with the pool) with this property. Perhaps it is the inside which justifies that list price because the back sure doesn't.
On Sept 27th, the list price was dropped on that Gibsons property on Sunrise Pl. It went from $524,900 to $499,000 - a drop of $25,900 (5%).

Well, since that property was only just listed on June 25th, I am sure that price drop will be the first of many. The next drop and those following will be $5,000 or $10,000 increments. Yes, they will be following the same pattern as all the other trying to sell on the SC as they chase that rare, elusive breed called "a buyer."